Sunday, February 12, 2012


The company I have selected to blog about is Kraft Foods.  My blog is Krafted (pun intended) to help learn more about the overall mission of the company.  Since it is ranked number 49 on the Fortune 500 list, my main focus is to gain a better understanding of the company and its brand image.  I’m interested in finding out how the company uses social media and if they use any other new forms of media to help reach their target audiences.  In addition, I am also interested in learning more about how KRAFT Foods gives back to the communities of people that know, trust, and love the company. 

As a Public Relations major and Marketing minor (as well as an avid lover of the Food Channel) I thought KRAFT Foods would be a great company to further explore. As a Marketing minor, my mind is morphed to immediately look at how companies brand, package, label, and image themselves (similar to the view I have from a Public Relations background).  While living at college, I always seem to be the one roommate in the house who is doing all of the cooking or getting asked, “what are you making for dinner tonight?”  I think this is not only because of my Italian background  but also because of my love of food.  
As one of the leading food companies, did I mention all of the products KRAFT is currently known for? 
  Food is a universal language.  Everyone knows what it is, everyone consumes it, and everyone has a favorite.  KRAFT has entered the homes of people everywhere and has been a main source of happiness and conversation at every family party, special event/occasion, or dining situation, whether consumers realize it or not.  While KRAFT does not have one specific target audience, they do try to reach all different communities around the world.  I think this is important for a food company especially because everyone eats food, so why not target, well... everyone?   
            KRAFT Foods has several implemented strategies which add to the overall success of the company.  These strategies are to delight global snack consumers, unleash the power of their iconic heritage brands, and create a performance-driven and values-led organization.  In order for these strategies to be successful, KRAFT Foods learns from their main audience of consumers.  They want to learn from their consumers as much as they can in order to make sure they are fully satisfied.  I find that often times this idea slips away from companies who get too caught up in the industry and forget what the purpose of their brand and products are- which is, to create something that benefits and satisfies their consumers. 

            KRAFT Macaroni and cheese isn’t the only thing that is sticky around KRAFT Foods….
One of the main issues that stands out regarding their reputation is that KRAFT Foods is splitting into North American Grocery division and the Global snacks division later this year.  In addition they are about $30 billion in debt!! How does that look for such a well-known company?! 
This article dated from January 10th, 2012 discusses just how KRAFT Foods is planning to deal with the situation....

In order to keep consumers updated and informed about the company, KRAFT Foods has a very well designed website.  While KRAFT Foods is a company I am very familiar with, I felt like I learned SO much more just by going on their website for a few minutes!  They emphasize (in relation to food and cooking) tips of the day, new recipes for upcoming holidays, community relations, social media relations, and tons of photos.  KRAFT Foods emphasizes the positive by being positive.  They discuss their brands, new products, contests and promotions, FAQs, career site, and corporate site.  To minimize the negative, their 127,000 employees focus on trust, keeping it simple, discussing, deciding, and (most of all) delivering to their consumers!  Talk about a consumer-driven company.  I’m starting to like KRAFT Foods even more as I type this.  Not to mention, I could go for a cold glass of milk and a sleeve of Oreos...


            Due to the reputable brand image KRAFT Foods has, there is a lot of potential and opportunities for the company to expand.  One of the main ways KRAFT Foods is growing is through their sustainable efforts of strengthening their high performing organization, driving down costs but keeping the same great quality (a total PLUS!) and reframing their different categories.  No matter what company, there is always room to grow and improve whether it is through staff, products, or company image.  KRAFT Foods is doing a great job with reaching out to communities and consumers.  Their website really shocked me.  I have never been on it but if I ever needed to know something about KRAFT Foods, boy would I be able to find it on there.  I think KRAFT Foods has the ability to completely vamp up their market strategy by creating new, fresh advertisements that really connect consumers to their products!

No comments:

Post a Comment